Monday, July 12, 2010

Catching up since last blog


It is SOOOO cool being able to type with two hands/arms.  I have just reread my last blogs - I didn't realise it was so long ago since I last blogged, we had another week after that!  And I didn't even talk about the amazing castle that we stayed out just out of horrible Cahors.  The upload speed (for the photos) on my home computer should be so much better too.  Sorry about the typos in the one handed/armed typing!

So, from that football game (where as you all know, we drew with them, making us the only unbeaten team in the 2010 world cup - yay), we went out exploring.  And sad to say, our opinion of Cahors just got worse and worse and worse.  It was a dirty, rude, ugly city.  It had a medieval city, but unlike Periguex, they had done nothing about tidying it up or restoring it.  Graffiti everywhere, lots of empty shops and vacant buildings.  AND it kept raining and was cold!

Eventually however, we found the old wall (that according to the Lonely Planet cycle guide in 2001 - liars - you could walk along - one of the main reasons I wanted to come to Cahors, well I suppose that had to tell some fibs to get people to come here, there is no other reason!).  It is in disrepair, but still interesting.  (It is clear that it was built across the loop in the river and at the top of the hill, to stop invaders coming in.

Hmm, cool to be back at a fast computer and having two hands, but now it won't let me systematically upload the photos, all my photos names in Picasa have disappeared and it won't let me upload photos from Google Web Albums - technology ARRGGHH.  I'll try again!

Nope, it won't let me add any others and won't let me delete this one, so you have a photo ofSt-Cirq-Lapopie (pronounced San Seer Lapopie.) Since 1950's restred and now an artists enclave. I have better photos, but I don't know how to get rid of this one and add others!  Nope this really is too hard.  I can't 'blog this' from Picasa, as it just sets up a new page, all my carefully labelled and captioned pictures in Picasa are just coming up with a code like DSC10026315, so I have no idea what the photos are.

Nope this is definitely a problem with the Google blog site.  It has all this technology and none of it talks to each other.  I think I will try using a different blog site in the future!

Finally, the photo of the Tower around the wall around Cahors that I was looking for.  We walked along the base of the wall, crossed the river (Rivers name is Lot, so the pays is called 'the Lot' - and I can assure you 'the lot; it hasn't'......) and walked down to find the 'most beautiful bridge in the world'.  Well we certainly dispute that, but then we like modern architecture as well as old, I would say maybe one of the top 30 -50 bridges in the world!  It is the original bridge, built and is now a pedestrian bridge only, and is very slowly being restored.



By this stage, Peter was counting the redeeming features of Cahors - 1.  The wall remains, 2. The bridge.  we actually found 2 more, one was the orthapaedic shop where we purhased my mighty over the shoulder arm holder (my new heavy duty sling) and the fourth was the amazing garden of sculptures below. We don't know quite what they were about but looked like they had something to do with either a. the holocaust, b, the french revolution or c. the french resistance, or all three, guessing based on the tortured expressions on the faces of the people!

Well, after I add these photos, that will be enough for today, and enough of horrible Cahors (which we left - still raining - for some amazing countryside - will continue in next episode!).

Hmmm, peter took the last photo with the GPS, I am not sure quite what planet he was on on that day, but I had rotated it in my Picasa album and it unrotated itself and this lovely blog programme won't let me rotate it again, so stand on your head please!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.